Reading comprehension refers to the ability to understand text, and it is an important part of English lessons for elementary students. Good reading comprehension skills can help young children construct meaning from text, understand what they are reading, and improve their command of the English language. There are many different reading comprehension skills that students need to gain, and these include the abilities to visualize, synthesize information, extract context clues, create connections, make inferences, and others.
Here are links to websites that contain excellent reading comprehension materials for elementary students:
- Reading Strategies for Elementary Students: The University of Missouri’s eThemes page has a variety of resources for reading.
- Strategy of Visualization: This document provides strategies for mastering the visualization aspect of reading comprehension.
- Analyzing Text: Exercises and tests that require students to analyze text.
- Comprehension and Synthesis Worksheets: List of worksheets that can improve studentís information synthesizing skills.
- Reading Comprehension Worksheets: Great selection of printable reading comprehension worksheets for elementary and high school students.
- Reading Comprehension Passages: Passages that are effective in helping children understand what they read.
- Reading Comprehension Games: Educational games that enable children to learn a wide range of reading skills.
- Reading Activities: Free reading comprehension activities for K-5 students.
- More Reading Activities: Great reading activities from Fun Brain.
- Fact or Opinion?: An exercise that requires students to recognize the difference between facts and opinions.
- Between the Lions: Stories and games that are specially developed to promote reading skills.
- Roy the Zebra: Fun guided reading activities for K-3 students.
- Reading Planet: Various activities that can enhance childrenís reading skills.
- Nasreddin Goes Shopping: Students have to read Nasreddin Goes Shopping and answer some questions that are related to the story.
- Book Adventure: A website that is dedicated to providing the best reading motivation for children.
- Reading Games: Reading games from BBC for elementary students.