The stockings are hung, the gifts wrapped, and the menu planned. But when it comes to making the most out of the holiday season, it’s the time spent with loved ones that makes us merriest this time of year.
Whether you’re looking for all-new activities for the whole family or simply refreshing your tried-and-true holiday plans, grab some inspiration from our list of holiday traditions to try!
- Explore the lights around your city (don’t forget the hot cocoa!)
- Write letters to each other, seal them, and wait to read them until the holidays next year
- Have a pajama party and holiday movie marathon
- Bake and decorate Christmas cookies together
- Set up a food/drink bar (try cheese displays and a make-your-own Bloody Mary stand!)
- Volunteer your time at a local soup kitchen
- Host a white elephant gift exchange
- Count down to Christmas by unwrapping a holiday book each day of December
- Purchase a new unique ornament each year
- Have a gingerbread house competition
- Go ice skating and head to an outdoor rink if you have one near you
- Buy matching PJs for the family to wear on Christmas morning (this makes for great photos!)
- Camp out in front of the tree for a night, share holiday stories, and eat sweet treats
- Assign everyone a different line and sing “The 12 Days of Christmas” (make sure to catch it on video!)
- Reminisce over 2015 with your family and reflect on how you’d like to grow
How do you celebrate the season each year? Share your traditions with us on Facebook!