Your sense of fashion naturally changes as you age, and so do the styles that look best on you. But that shouldn’t make it difficult to find a new pair of readers, even if you’re not sure what to look for in new frames. Older men in their 50s, 60s, and 70s should have eyewear that is both fashionable and functional.
Below, we explore the best eyeglasses for men in more mature age ranges. Whether you’re rocking a salt-and-pepper beard or embracing a clean shave, we’ve got you covered.
Glasses for Men Over 50: Keeping It Stylish
As you enter your 50s, it’s important to choose readers that complement your changing fashion sense and visual needs. Many of these lenses also have an anti-reflective coating to help reduce glare from digital screens.
In terms of style, there are a few options to consider. Traditional rectangular frames never go out of fashion because they look good on many different face shapes. Neutral colors such as black, brown, and tortoiseshell are versatile and go well with a broad range of outfits. If you have gray hair and a beard, these colors will further enhance your already distinguished appearance.
Check out our best reading glasses styles for older men over 50:
Glasses for Men Over 60: Timeless Elegance
Presbyopia, an age-related loss of near focusing ability, is a common issue in older men and women. When small print becomes hard to read, reading glasses can help provide clear vision.
Consult with your eye care professional if you need help determining what strength readers to use, or to determine if prescription eyewear may be better for you than over-the-counter readers.
If you also have myopia — a refractive error that makes distant objects appear blurry — you may want to talk to your eye doctor about prescription bifocals or progressive lenses. Both options provide vision correction at multiple distances.
Your 60s are all about embracing sophistication and class. Metal frames — like titanium and stainless steel — are a timeless option that can be dressed up or down.
Deep navy blue and olive green are subtle yet stylish alternatives, and they’re especially flattering for men with gray hair. Adding color is a great way to add some personality to your wardrobe, so don’t be afraid to explore your options!
Here are our best reading glasses for older men over 60:
Glasses for Men Over 70: Ageless Charm
By the time you reach your 70s, your eyeglasses become a true reflection of the character and wisdom you’ve gained over the years. A stronger power, such as +2.50, may make reading a more comfortable and enjoyable experience. Choose your focusing power with the help of our printable diopter chart.
At this stage in life, comfort and practicality become increasingly important. Full-rim frames provide excellent coverage, while lightweight materials reduce pressure on your nose and ears, and around your temples. Frames in bold shapes and colors are excellent options for bald men since they stand out and draw more attention to the eyes.
Check out our best reading glasses for older men over 70:
5 Tips for Choosing the Right Frames
No matter your age, here are a few tips you should always keep in mind when shopping for new eyeglasses:
- Consider your face shape – The size and shape of your face play an important role in determining which frames will flatter you the most. For example, square or rectangle glasses can provide more balance if you have an oval or round face shape.
- Choose the right frame size – Be sure to pick glasses that are proportional to your features. Our printable ruler can help you measure your face and/or current readers to ensure your new frames fit perfectly.
- Find an age-appropriate style – While it’s great to experiment with the latest trends, consider frames that enhance your mature and sophisticated demeanor. The best eyeglass shapes have a timeless appeal and won’t go out of style anytime soon.
- Pick a suitable frame material – Metal frames are lightweight and durable, while acetate frames offer more colors and patterns. Think about your preferences and find a material that works for your needs.
- Choose a flattering color – The colors of your frames should complement your skin tone and hair color. Neutral tones are versatile and work with any outfit, while bright colors add a pop of personality to your look. We recommend having several frames in your wardrobe so you can mix and match based on the occasion.
Finding the perfect frames is a journey, and it may help to seek guidance from eye care professionals. They can help you navigate your options and provide insights based on your preferences. Your glasses should be a true reflection of your character and all the wisdom that comes with age.
Find Trendy Glasses for Older Men
At Readers.com, we recognize that finding the right eyewear is about more than just vision – it’s about expressing yourself at every stage of life. Our collection is carefully curated to match your evolving style and preferences. Explore our wide range of eyewear and find the perfect pair today. Whether you are bald or have gray hair and a beard, we have the best glasses for older men.